Thursday, July 24, 2008

Friday Question: Is Money Worth the Move?

Scenario:

So anyway this big-wig is bumping his gums to me on yesterday (I'm in cedar rapids,IA right now) and asks me about he city ..work goals ..etc

Then I said i eventually want to move into project mgmt...dude says I have a spot right under me right now ..its yours if you want it but it is here in cedar rapids...he said he could offer full relo plus 34%

increase...he seems cool ...real intersted in diversity and football ...we identified with each other on the sadness of a dallas cowboy fan

now i'm pondering this thing ...how much $$ would take for you to move say Nowhere, Motana? or bumfugg,kansas?...Or better yet england or paris?


3 comments:

DFW Dad said...

His distaste for the Cowboys shows that he would be a good person to work under. You could probably learn a lot from him since he seems smart. 34% percent would make me think hard. I may do it but I would be on a 2 year plan to get the bread and experience and then move somewhere else. I've thought about this more and I may make the move. It's a tough choice. Cedar Rapids has to suck. I wouldn't want to live there but it may be worth it in the long term.

Chuck Dollar$ said...

Yes, Cedar Rapids will suck, but what do you call Fort Worth, TX, if not sucking? Like I said, you've got the fam, all you're gonna do is go enjoy yourself at home. With that kind of loot, you'll have a nice crib and can entertain yourself and family. You most likely won't be invited to any of the local Klan rallies, so forget the social life. Do two or three years and bounce with the money and new check off on the ole resume'. It's just like doing a lil time, except you get a fat paycheck & poontang!

Krazy Legs said...

Cedar Rapids, IA??? I don't know about that one. Money is everything, and nothing all in one shot. Yeah, a year or two of making that dough would be great for the bank account and would satisfy whomever you may owe (car, credit, etc.). But your personality/makeup has to factor in that decision too. Me personally, I have a hard enough time where I live now. Cedar Rapids, IA would be even worse, I think. How far is it from the nearest big city. I'm a big city boy, I need to be within a short drive of a big metro area.

In SWEETNUPE's situation, it's more than him to consider in that decision. If all parties in that situation would thrive if a move was in the future, then make it happen.

In SLA's situation, it's a solo decision. Not as many ramifications if SLA goes there. But can your mind cope with that change.

But after doing the math...34% of my current salary, is....$$$$$. Add that $$$$$ to my current salary and that would make me have a serious discussion with my significant other too. That said...SLA...tell dude I want to move into project managment too! LOL!!! Resume forthcoming.